What to play with your wife
- Hive Pocket
- Mr Jack Pocket
- Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
- Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Competitive games for two players
- Battle Line
- 7 Wonders Duel
- Star Realms/Hero Realms
- Hive Pocket
- Air, Land, & Sea
- Zug um Zug/Ticket to Ride Europe & Switzerland
- Brändi Dog
- King of Tokyo
- Bang! The Dice game
- Galaxy Trucker
- Sushi GO
- Skulls & Roses Red
- Love Letter
- Pandemie (coop)
- Secret Hitler / The Resistance / Avalon (Deduction)
- Cards against Humanity
- Codenames / Codenames: Pictures
- Mogelmotte / Kackerlacken Pocker
- Cash ‘n Guns
For with kids
- Super Rhino
Complex and Challenging Boardgames
Print and Play
There exist a lot of good free games you can print yourself:
It may sound mean, but some games will not come to the table again not because they are bad but the others are just better. A few examples:
- Wingspan: a few cards are game deciding, the card draw is random.
- Werewolfe: A player is removed from the game in first round.
- 8 Minute Empire: Players can not build a strategy for lategame, the game just ends.
- Pandemie The Cure dice game: The game is fully decided by the randomness by the dice, there is not much room for player decisions.
- Survive: Escape from Atlantis!: This game has lots of death and backstabbing.
Tales of the Arabian Nights
This game is a monster, it comes with a storybook and a decision matrix. I am not sure if you can even win but the story it creates are memorable.
A simple sci-fi game that uses dice as space ships. While the game is based on a dice roll the player can still make meaningful decisions. The game has a bit of player interaction with stealing and sabotage.
Possible houserules: You may only Raid someone on equal or more victory points than yourself. Alternative win when you reach 8 VP (or 10vp for 3player, 9vp for 4player).